Friday, January 09, 2009

Week One: Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings

I know this doesn't look terribly appetizing, but trust me, it was. Even Claire loved it (as you can see from her hands grabbing for the bowl when I took the picture), and that girl is definitely not what you would call an "eater."

 

Here's the recipe for anyone who wants to try it (and if my recommendation isn't enough, it has 1992 reviews on allrecipes.com and is ranked 4.5 stars)

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons butter
2 cans, cream of chicken soup
1 onion, diced
1 pkg Grands homestyle biscuits (8 biscuits)
1 can chicken broth
Veggies (I added corn, peas & carrots)
Cumin
Parsley
Poultry Seasoning (I didn't measure the spices...just a few shakes)

Dump it all in the crock pot, except for the biscuits, and cook for 5-6 hours on high. Cut the biscuits into small pieces (I quartered them and wished I'd made them smaller) and add them to the mixture when there's about 3 hours left. Be sure to stir them in a bit and not just let them float on top.

Voila! One week down, 51 to go.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Julie said...

Sounds easy AND yummy! I'll have to try that. I never use my crock pot & I'm thinking that's going to have to be a main way to cook for now.

Anonymous said...

This sounds so good! I can't wait to try it! And I'm not a cook either!

Laura